NORTHFIELD BOARD OF EDUCATION FILE CODE: 2131 Northfield, New Jersey
Exhibit, Job Description
TITLE: SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. A Master’s Degree in Educational Administration plus one additional year advance graduate work in Education from an accredited college or university required; Doctorate desired.
- Valid New Jersey School Administrator Certificate or eligibility
- At least three years successful experience in public school administration as Principal, supervisor or in a related field.
- Demonstrated success with curriculum, personnel management, school finance and strategic planning
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
REPORTS TO: Board of Education
SUPERVISES: All staff except the Board Secretary
JOB GOAL: To provide leadership in developing and maintaining the best possible educational programs and services
RESPONSIBILITY: Leadership and management responsibilities of the superintendent shall extend to all activities of the district, to all phases of the educational program, to all aspects of the financial operation, to all parts of the physical plant, and to the conduct of such other duties as may be assigned by the board. The superintendent may delegate these duties together with appropriate authority, but may not delegate nor relinquish ultimate responsibility for results or any portion of accountability.
- Provides leadership and administers the development and maintenance of a positive educational program designed to meet the needs of the pupils and the community and to carry out the policies of the Board.
- Recommends the number and types of positions required to provide proper personnel for the operation of such a program.
- Attends all meetings of the Board except when his/her own employment or salary is under consideration, and serves as an ex-officio member of the Board.
- Recommends for appointment and employment the employees of the Board and assigns, transfers and recommends for dismissal those employees within his/her area of responsibility.
- Recommends policies on organization, instruction, finance, school plant and other functions of the District programs.
File Code: 2131 SUPERINTENDENT, EXHIBIT (continued)
6. Formulates school objectives, administrative procedures, plans and programs, and prepares (or causes to be prepared) and presents facts and explanations necessary to assist the Board in its duty of legislation for the schools.
7. Directs the preparation of the annual budget for adoption by the Board, acting at all times in accordance with legal requirements and adopted Board policies.
8. Keeps the Board of Education informed of the conditions, needs and achievement of pupils of the school system.
9. Confers periodically with professional and lay groups concerning the school programs, and transmits to the Board suggestions gained from such conferences.
10. Supervises methods of teaching, supervision and administration in effect in the schools.
11. Conducts continuous evaluation of the progress and the needs of the District.
12. Exercises responsibility to make such rules and gives such instructions to employees and pupils as may be necessary to implement Board policy.
13. Attends such conventions, conferences and professional meetings as may be necessary to keep abreast of the latest educational trends.
14. Exercises leadership in development and execution of a school-community relations program.
15. Directly supervises the Business Administrator, Principals, Attendance Officer and confidential secretary.
16. Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Board.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: In accordance with law. Salary to be determined by the board.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually by April 30 in accordance with state law, administrative code, and the board’s policy on evaluation of the superintendent.
N.J.S.A. 13:1f-19 et seq. School Integrated Pest Management Act
through –7.5 Criminal history record; employee in regular contact with pupils; grounds for disqualification from employment; exception
N.J.S.A. 18A:7A-10 Evaluation of performance of each school
N.J.S.A. 18A:7A-11 Annual report of local school district; contents; annual report of commissioner; report of improvement of basic skills
N.J.S.A. 18A:7A-14.3 through -14.5 Alternate program of evaluation and monitoring
N.J.S.A. 18A:7E School report card and efficiency programs
File Code: 2131 SUPERINTENDENT, EXHIBIT (continued)
N.J.S.A. 18A:7F-43 School Funding Reform Act of 2008
N.J.S.A. 18A:12-21 School Ethics Act
N.J.S.A. 18A:12-24 School officials; prohibited conduct
N.J.S.A. 18A:16-1 Officers and employees in general
N.J.S.A. 18A:16-1.3 Notification of dismissal for cause of non-tenured certificated employee
N.J.S.A. 18A:16-2 Physical examinations; requirement
N.J.S.A. 18A:17-15 through -21 Appointment of superintendents; terms
through -24.9 Superintendents and school business administrators shared by two or more districts; approval
N.J.S.A. 18A:17-46 Act of violence; report by school employee; notice of action taken; annual report
N.J.S.A. 18A:27-4.1 Appointment, transfer, removal, or renewal of officers and employees; exceptions
N.J.S.A. 18A:36-24 et seq. Missing and abused children
N.J.S.A. 18A:37 Discipline of pupils
N.J.S.A. 34:5A N. J. Workerand Community Right to Know Act
N.J.S.A. 52:17B-9.8a, -9.8c et al. Missing child defined; marking of missing child’s record; notification of requests for marked records; marking of missing child’s birth certificate; notification of requests for copy of marked certificate
- 6A:5 Regulatory equivalency and waiver
- 6A:7 Managing for equality and equity in education
- 6A:8 Standards and assessment
- 6A:9 Professional licensure and standards See particularly:
N.J.A.C. 6A:9-3 Professional standards for teachers and school leaders
|N.J.A.C. 6A:9-8||Requirements for instructional certificate|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:9-12||Requirements for administrative certification|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:9-15||Required professional development for teachers|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:9-16||Required professional development for school leaders|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:9-17.4||District reporting responsibility|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:14||Special education|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:15||Bilingual education|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:16||Programs to support student development|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:17||Students at risk of not receiving a public education|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:23A||Fiscal Accountability|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:26||Educational facilities|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:26-2||Educational facilities; long range facilities plan|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:26-3||Educational facilities; capital project review|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:30||Evaluation of the performance of school districts|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:32||School operations|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:32-3.2||Requirements for the code of ethics for school board|
|members and charter school board of trustee members|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:32-4.4||Evaluation of tenured teaching staff members|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:32-4.5||Supervision of instruction, observation and evaluation of|
|nontenured teaching staff members|
|N.J.A.C. 6A:32-7.3||Pupil records|
|N.J.A.C. 12:100-4.2||Occupational Safety & Health Standards Adoption by|
File Code: 2131 SUPERINTENDENT, EXHIBIT (continued) reference 42 U.S.C. 12101 et seq Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA),.
29 CFR 1910.1030 Bloodborne Pathogens Standard, 20 U.S.C. 1400 et seq., Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), reauthorized 1997, P.L. 105-17 (formerly the Education for All Handicapped Act)
No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, P. L. 107-110, 20 U.S.C.A. 6301 et seq.
29 CFR 1910.1450 Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories Standard