NORTHFIELD BOARD OF EDUCATION FILE CODE: 9111
Northfield, New Jersey
QUALIFICATIONS OF A BOARD MEMBER
Each member of the Northfield Board of Education shall meet the following qualifications as required by law:
- A board member must be a citizen of the United States.
- A board member must be a resident of the City of Northfield for at least one year immediately preceding the member’s election or appointment.
- A board member may not be convicted of a felony.
- A board member must be able to read and write.
- A board member must be registered to vote in the district and not disqualified from voting pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1.
- A board member cannot concurrently hold office as mayor or a member of the governing body of Northfield.
- He/she has not been disqualified due to the conviction of a crime or offense listed in N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1. In order to fulfill this requirement:
- Each member of the board of education, within 30 days of the election or appointment to the board shall undergo a criminal history background check investigation for the purpose of ensuring that the member is not disqualified for membership due to a conviction of a crime or offense pursuant to the statute listed above; and
- The board shall not reimburse the member for the cost of the criminal history record check, including all costs for administering and processing the check.
Within 30 days of election/appointment, board members shall file with the board secretary, on forms provided by the School Ethics Commission, both a Personal/Relative Disclosure Form (N.J.S.A. 18A:12-25) and a Financial Disclosure Statement (N.J.S.A. 18A:12-26). The board secretary shall file the original with the executive county superintendent (N.J.A.C. 6A:28-3.1).
Date: March 8, 2004
NJSBA Review/Update: December 2009; December 2010; August 2011
Readopted: October 24, 2011
Legal References: N.J.S.A. 18A:12-11 Election and number of board members; terms
N.J.S.A. 18A:14-1et seq. Annual and special school elections
N.J.S.A. 18A:14-2 Time of holding annual school election
N.J.S.A. 18A:14-19 Notices; contents; posting and publication
N.J.S.A. 18A:14-61 Tally sheets, poll lists, ballots and statement of results; delivery to secretary of board of education; canvas; announcement of results, certification