NORTHFIELD CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION FILE CODE: 1312
Northfield, New Jersey X Monitored
X Other Reasons
COMMUNITY COMPLAINTS AND INQUIRIES
The Northfield City Board of Education recognizes that from time to time parents/guardians or citizens may have complaints and problems relating to their children and the operation of the school district. It is the desire of this board that these complaints and problems be resolved at the lowest level possible.
Constructive criticism of the school district is welcome when it is motivated by a sincere desire to improve the quality of the educational program.
The board has confidence in the professional staff and desires to support their activities in such a manner that employees are freed from unnecessary, spiteful, or negative criticism or complaints.
The Superintendent shall develop procedures to investigate and solve problems promptly, and to provide accurate factual information in answer to inquiries. Such procedures shall conform to state law and applicable negotiated agreements. Procedures will be governed by the following guidelines:
- The matter will be resolved initially, wherever possible, by informal discussions between or among the interested parties.
- A matter that cannot be resolved informally may be appealed at successive levels of authority, up to and including the Board of Education.
- The complaint and its immediate resolution will be reduced to writing at the first and at each successive level of appeal.
- A reasonable period of time, not to exceed ten calendar days, will be permitted for the filing of an appeal in writing at each successive level. A decision at each level of appeal must be rendered in writing no later than ten working days after the appeal is filed, except that the Board shall have thirty calendar days to make its decision.
- A complainant shall be notified that a decision of the Board may be appealed to the Commissioner of Education.
Parents/guardians and students will be informed of the proper avenues to follow in the individual school.
When a board member is confronted with an issue, he/she will refer the complaint or inquiry to the Superintendent, who shall review the complaint according to established procedures.
Adopted: June 2, 1997
NJSBA Review/Update: August 2009; December 2010, February 2023
Readopted: October 24, 2011
Community Complaints and Inquiries, Complaints, Inquiries
Legal References: N.J.S.A. 10:4‑6 et seq. Open Public Meetings Act
N.J.S.A. 18A:11‑1 General mandatory powers and duties
N.J.S.A. 18A:54-20 Powers of board (county vocational schools)
N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1et seq. Examination and copies of public records (Open Public Records Act)
Cross References: *1120 Board of education meetings
*3570 District records and reports
*4112.6 Personnel records
4148 Employee protection
*4212.6 Personnel records
4248 Employee protection
*5145.6 Student grievance procedure
*6144 Controversial issues
*6161.1 Guidelines for evaluation and selection of instructional materials
*6161.2 Complaints regarding instructional materials
*6163.1 Media center/library
*9010 Role of the member
*9020 Public statements
9123 Appointment of board secretary
*Indicates policy is included in the Critical Policy Reference Manual.