NORTHFIELD BOARD OF EDUCATION FILE CODE: 5131.4
Northfield, New Jersey
DISORDER AND DEMONSTRATION
The Northfield Board of Education recognizes the right of each student to attend school for the purpose of receiving an education. The disruption of the educational program of the school by disorder or any other purposeful activity will not be countenanced.
For the purpose of this policy, disorder shall be any deliberate activity to an individual or group, whether peaceful or violent, which interferes with the normal operation of the school.
A. The board, having the responsibility of providing an educational program for the students of this district, shall have the authority to preserve order for the proper functioning of that program;
B. Students shall not be disturbed in the exercise of their constitutionally guaranteed rights to assemble peaceably and to express ideas and opinions, privately or publicly, provided that such exercise does not infringe on the rights of others and does not interfere with the operation of the schools;
C. Activities which shall be disallowed by the board include those which:
1. Materially disrupt class work or provoke substantial disorder or invasion of other’s rights;
2. Involve the use of obscenity or themes considered to be harmful to the normal development of impressionable students;
3. Involve slander or false statements;
4. Are prejudicial in nature;
5. Advocate or encourage use of substances or materials known to be harmful or dangerous;
6. Advocate the use of force or the violation of laws or school regulations;
7. Advertise or sell products or services for unauthorized commercial gain.
Section 3 Delegation of Responsibility
The Superintendent of Schools shall develop procedures for the implementation of this policy.
Adopted: No Date
NJSBA Review/Update: November 2009 ; December 2010
Readopted: October 24, 2011
Disturbance, Disorder, Demonstration
Legal References: N.J.S.A. 18A:25-2 Authority over pupils
N.J.S.A. 18A:37-4 Suspension of pupils
Cross References: *5114 Suspension and expulsion/pupil due process
*5131.1 Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying
*5131.5 Vandalism and Violence
*Indicates the policy is included in the Critical Policy Reference Manual.