NORTHFIELD BOARD OF EDUCATION file code: 3510
Northfield, New Jersey
OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE OF PLANT
- The principal and the appropriate custodial staff member shall inspect the facility daily for proper functioning and cleanliness.
- The principal with the appropriate custodial staff member shall make a monthly inspection of the school building, support facilities, and grounds to identify any required repairs or replacements.
- Reports of each inspection required in paragraph A1 and paragraph A2 will be made on the prescribed district form and forwarded to the school business administrator/board secretary.
- The building and grounds supervisor will report to the business administrator/board secretary those repairs to be performed by the district staff and those that require the services of an outside contractor.
- Repairs by District Staff
- Any teaching staff member may submit a work order request for repairs and/or maintenance. All work order requests will be submitted to building principal.
- The building and grounds supervisor may assign a priority to those work orders to be performed by district staff. The priority code will be:
- Emergency, for work that must be done immediately;
- High Priority, for work that affects health or safety;
- Normal Priority, for work that affects neither health nor safety; and
- Low Priority, for work that can be completed during the summer months or whenever staff is available.
- Work scheduled to be performed by the district staff shall be entered on a work order form unless an emergency exists in which case the form may be filed after the repair has been made.
- The work order form shall include, at a minimum, the following information:
- Name of the person making the request;
- Date of request;
- Location of repair;
- A description of the work to be performed;
- Electronic response by the custodial staff.
- Repairs by Outside Contractors
- When it appears to be necessary to utilize outside contracting services to affect a repair, the principal and any other interested staff member will confer in the preparation of a job specification.
- The building and grounds supervisor shall prepare a purchase requisition for submission to the school business administrator/board secretary that indicates:
- The recommended vendor(s);
- The work required and its location;
- The reason why the work cannot be done by district staff; and
- The estimated cost as obtained from at a minimum of two contractors.
- The building and grounds supervisor shall be responsible for supervising the conduct of the work.
- Replacements and Improvements
- The building and grounds supervisor will prepare a replacement schedule that lists all district equipment. Annual recommendations will be made in the budget to maintain the schedule of replacements.
- Replacements required but not scheduled shall be submitted to the principal or the business administrator/board secretary by the end of September on a budget request form for consideration in the next annual budget.
- A comprehensive district maintenance plan shall be prepared in accordance with N.J.A.C. 6A:26-20.1 et seq. in order to meet facility needs and comply with law.
Adopted: October 20, 2008
Readopted: August 2017