NORTHFIELD BOARD OF EDUCATION FILE CODE: 4147/4247 Northfield, New Jersey X Monitored
Mandated Policy X Other Reasons
Through its overall safety program, the board of education shall seek to ensure the safety of employees during working hours.
The board shall be diligent in maintaining safe working conditions for employees. It shall provide an Exposure Control Plan for the occupational containment of bloodborne pathogens as described in file code 4112.4 Employee Health. The board shall also provide information on possible hazardous substances in the workplace, in accordance with law.
The board shall expect employees to follow all established safety rules and regulations, such as those pertaining to the use of safety equipment, the wearing of safety clothing and protective eye devices where appropriate, and the lifting or shifting of heavy weights.
Accidents must be reported immediately to the nurse or to the supervisor if the nurse is not available. An accident investigation report must be submitted in detail to the Superintendent of Schools’ office by the following working day.
Adopted: June 2, 1997 NJSBA Review/Update: November 2009; December 2010 Readopted: October 24, 2011
Insurance Management, Accidents, Employee Safety
Legal References: N.J.S.A. 2C:7-1 et seq. Registration of sex offenders; definition; requirements
- 18A:16-2 Physical examinations; requirement
- 18A:40-12.1 Protective eye devices required for teachers, students and visitors in certain cases
- 18A:40-12.2 Rules prescribing kinds, types and quality of devices
- 34:5A-1 et seq. Worker and Community Right to Know Act
- 34:6A-25 et seq. New Jersey Public Employees’ Occupational Safety and Health Act
- 34:19-1 et seq. Conscientious Employee ProtectionAct
- 6A:26-12.5 Eye protection in schools
- 6A:32-12.1(a) Reporting requirements
- 12:100-4.2 Safety and Health Standards for Public Employees Adoption by reference)
29 CFR 1910.1030 – Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
Cross References: *3510 Operation and maintenance of plant
*4111.1 Nondiscrimination/affirmative action
*4112.4 Employee health
*5142 Student safety
*Indicates policy is included in the Critical Policy Reference Manual.