NORTHFIELD BOARD OF EDUCATION FILE CODE: 4243 Northfield, New Jersey
To ensure that all non-exempt employees receive additional compensation for working overtime.
A. Non-exempt employees are defined as: secretarial, clerical, aides, custodial, maintenance, cafeteria personnel, and other short-time hourly employees;
B. Overtime is defined as duties performed beyond his/her regularly assigned working hours or work week, as follows:
1. Secretarial/clerical – as per negotiated contract, or other board approval;
2. Aides – as per negotiated contract or other board approval;
3. Custodial/maintenance – 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week;
4. Cafeteria – as per annual board approval;
5. Other hourly – as per annual board approval.
C. Overtime remuneration shall be as follows:
1. Weekdays and Saturday – 1.5 x hourly rate
2. Sundays and National Holidays – 2.0 x hourly rate
Delegation of Responsibility
Overtime must be assigned by the supervisor and approved by the Superintendent of Schools.
Rules and Regulations:
A. Any non-exempt employee working on school premises for the PTA or other related organizations, which work is assigned and approved as described above, shall be considered working for the board of education and shall be paid the appropriate overtime compensation for that work by the board upon timely submission of a completed timesheet.
B. Any non-exempt employee working on school premises for organizations other than school-related are considered to be working for that organization and normally shall be paid an agreed-upon stipend by that organization. The board, at its discretion, may waive this requirement and pay the employee from board funds.