NORTHFIELD BOARD OF EDUCATION FILE CODE: 4151.1/4251.1
Northfield, New Jersey Monitored
Policy X Other Reasons
PERSONAL ILLNESS AND INJURY/HEALTH AND HARDSHIP
It is the policy of the Northfield Board of Education to provide sick leave and personal leave to school district personnel. The purpose of such sick leave is to provide income protection to school personnel in the event of illness. The purpose of personal leave is to allow for absence from work, with pay, to take care of personal matters that must be done during the school day.
School personnel are expected to use sick leave and personal leave for the purpose that these benefits are provided.
Excessive absence from work for illness or other reasons may constitute good cause for withholding a salary increment or for dismissal proceedings under New Jersey statutes.
The Superintendent of Schools; and administrative staff shall develop appropriate guidelines and plans for the implementation of this policy. Such guidelines and plans shall include; but not be limited to, the following:
- Plans to communicate to school district personnel the intent of sick leave and personal leave and the importance of regular attendance;
- A system of record keeping to account for sick leave and personal days, to include monthly and annual reports;
- A system for monitoring absence for sick leave and personal leave to prevent abuses;
- When appropriate to the circumstances, requesting school district staff to submit information concerning the cause of absence after three consecutive days of absence;
- When appropriate to the circumstances following an illness, to request a statement from a physician that the employee may return to work.
Adopted: June 2, 1997
NJSBA Review/Update: November 2009; December 2010
Readopted: October 24, 2011
Leaves, Sick Leave, Attendance, Attendance Patterns, Employee Attendance
Legal References: N.J.S.A. 18A:6‑6 No sex discrimination
N.J.S.A. 18A:6‑66 Rights and benefits of personnel (educational services commission)
through -5 Physical examinations; requirement …
N.J.S.A. 18A:27‑4 Power of boards of education to make rules governing employment of teacher, etc.
N.J.S.A. 18A:30‑1 Definition of sick leave
N.J.S.A. 18A:30‑2 Sick leave allowable
N.J.S.A. 18A:30‑6 Prolonged absence beyond sick leave period
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-6.1 et seq. School Employee Physical Examinations
Ramsey Teachers Ass’n v. Ramsey Bd. of Ed., 1979 S.L.D. 862, St. Bd. rev’g 1978 S.L.D. 518, aff’d App. Div., 1980 S.L.D. 1528
Cole v. Essex County Vocational School District Bd. of Ed., 1986 S.L.D. 1855
Cross References: 4150 Leaves
*4151 Attendance patterns
*Indicates policy is included in the Critical Policy Reference Manual.