Students Bring Your Own Device (B.Y.O.D.) Guidelines for the Use of Personal Technology on Campus
Technology has changed the way we approach education as we prepare our students for future opportunities. We understand the many positive educational benefits of using technology in the classroom and importance of the integration of technology in our curriculum. In an effort to encourage our students and continue to develop their technology skills, students in the Northfield Community School may use their own technology at school for educational purposes.
Definition of Personal Technology
For purposes of this policy, “personal technology” means a privately owned, wireless, and portable electronic hand-held equipment that includes, but is not limited to, existing and emerging mobile communication systems and smart technologies, portable internet devices, Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), hand held entertainment systems or portable information technology systems that can be used for word processing, wireless Internet access, image capture/recording, sound recording and information transmitting/receiving/storing, etc.
Use of Technology for Instructional Purposes
Use of technology in school is a privilege which comes with great responsibility. Students will only be allowed to use their laptops, tablets, cell phones or other electronic devices for educational purposes at school. Checking personal email, socializing via texts or instant messages, or otherwise engaging in personal pursuits is prohibited during the instructional day.
Internet Access on School Grounds
Only the internet gateway provided by the school may be accessed while on campus. Personal technology, including cell phones and cell network adapters are not permitted to be used to access outside internet sources at any time.
Compliance with other Board Policies
When participating in B.Y.O.D., students must adhere to the Student Code of Conduct, as well as all Board policies, particularly the Northfield Community School’s Acceptable Use Policy. This means that students who use their personal technology at school must abide by the established policies regarding acceptable use of the Internet, bullying, harassment, cheating, threats, student confidentiality and other misconduct that violates school rules or causes a disruption of educational activities.
• Teachers have the discretion to determine when students may use personal technology in the classroom. Students must immediately comply with their teachers’ requests to shut down or put away personal technology.
• All personal technology must be in silent mode.
• Students may not use personal technology during any assessments or tests unless otherwise directed by school personnel.
• Students shall not transmit, post or otherwise publicly share photographs or videos that they have taken of any person on school grounds or in a school vehicle.
• Personal Technology shall not be used outside the classroom. (ie Café, Hallways, Lavatories)
Security and Damages
Responsibility to keep a student’s personal technology secure rests with the individual owner. Northfield Community School, including its staff or employees, is not liable for any device stolen or damaged on campus. If a device is stolen or damaged, it will be handled through the administrative office in a manner similar to other personal property. It is recommended that students personalize their devices for easy identification and utilize protective cases.
The Northfield Community School’s Technology Department will not service any non-district owned technology, which includes troubleshooting, software or hardware issues. Students are responsible for securing their devices and making sure that they have up-to-date anti-virus software installed, if applicable.
Failure to Follow B.Y.O.D. Guidelines
Misuse of personal technology in violation of these guidelines will result in disciplinary action as per the student code of conduct.
Adopted: September 23, 2013
Revised: August 22, 2016; June 2018
BYOD AGREEMENT –
(TO BE SIGNED AND RETURNED TO THE SCHOOL OFFICE)
In exchange for the privilege of using personal technology at school, we acknowledge and agree to each of the following:
1. The District’s policies on student conduct and Acceptable Use of the Internet apply to the use of personal technology. It is the student’s responsibility to abide by those policies when using personal technology on school grounds;
2. Only the Internet gateway provided by the school will be accessed on school grounds. The school’s network filters will be applied to the student’s connection and no attempts will be made to bypass the network restrictions by using personal access to the Internet;
3. There is no expectation of personal privacy in the use of personal technology at school. The District’s network administrators have the ability to identify users and monitor all B.Y.O.D. devices logged on to the network;
4. Personal technology may be searched by school personnel if there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that the search will turn up evidence that a student has violated or is violating either the law or the rules of the school;
5. The school district has the right to examine any device that is suspected of causing problems or was the source of an attack or virus infection;
I/We understand and will abide by the above B.Y.O.D. guidelines. As the parent or guardian, I hereby consent to my child’s use of personal technology at school. I/We agree to hold the District harmless for loss or any damages suffered by my child or me including those arising from unauthorized use, loss of data, and exposure to potentially harmful or inappropriate material arising from the use of personal technology at school.
6. All electronic devices must remain in the student’s locker in the middle school and in a back pack in the elementary school. Devices may only be taken out when directed by a teacher.
Name of Student (please print)
__________________________________ DATE: _________________
Signature of Student
Name of Parent or Guardian (please print)
__________________________________ DATE: _________________
Signature of Parent or Guardian
NORTHFIELD COMMUNITY SCHOOL
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD): Personal Student Laptop/Tablet Use Policy
(TO BE SIGNED AND RETURNED TO SCHOOL OFFICE)
I, , fully acknowledge that use of my own device
on the premises of Northfield Community School is subject to all guidelines, rules and regulations governing acceptable use as established by the Northfield Community School, Policy 6142.10 and Regulation 6142.10.
I further understand that use of my personal device is restricted to those activities as required or related to my program of study and any use otherwise may be subject to disciplinary action including loss of device use privileges. I WILL NOT access websites with inappropriate content using a 3G or 4G connection.
I certify that my laptop has an up-to-date anti-virus program.
I understand that the Northfield Community School is NOT responsible for any damage or theft that may occur to the laptop while on school property.
Student Name (Print) _________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature ______________________________________________
Technology Department will complete.
Computer Make and Model # ____________________________________
Serial # ________________________________________________
MAC Address: ___________________________________________