NORTHFIELD CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION FILE CODE: 6164.1
Northfield, New Jersey X Monitored
Policy X Other Reasons
INTERVENTION AND REFERRAL SERVICES FOR GENERAL EDUCATION STUDENTS
The Northfield City Board of Education shall establish and implement in each school building a coordinated system for planning and delivering intervention and referral services designed to assist students who are experiencing learning, behavior, or health difficulties, and to assist staff who have difficulties in addressing students learning, behavior, or health needs. The board adopts the New Jersey Tiered System of Supports (NJTSS) model as the districts appropriate multidisciplinary team approach for planning and delivering the following required services:
- The intervention and referral services shall be provided to support students in the general education program; and
- The intervention and referral services may be provided for students who have been determined to need special education programs and services.
- The intervention and referral services provided for students determined to need special education programs and services shall be coordinated with the student’s individualized education program team, as appropriate.
- Child study team members and, to the extent appropriate, specialists in the area of disability may participate on intervention and referral services teams, pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:14-3.1(d)6.
The Superintendent shall prepare procedures to:
- Identify learning, behavior and health difficulties of students;
- Collect thorough information on the identified learning, behavior and health difficulties;
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of the building staff who participate in planning and providing intervention and referral plan and services;
- Develop and implement action plans which provide for appropriate school or community interventions or referrals to school and community resources, based on the collected data and desired outcomes for the identified learning, behavior and health difficulties;
- Provide support, guidance and professional development to school staff who identify learning, behavior and health difficulties and refer students and to school staff who participate in planning and providing intervention and referral services;
- Actively involve parents/guardians in the development and implementation of intervention and referral plans;
- Coordinate the access to and delivery of school resources and services for achieving the outcomes identified in the intervention and referral services action plan;
- Coordinate the services of community-based social and health provider agencies and other community resources for achieving the outcomes identified in the intervention and referral services action plans;
- Maintain records of all requests for assistance and all intervention and referral services plans in accordance with federal and state law and regulation;
- Review and assess the effectiveness of the services provided in achieving the outcomes identified in the intervention and referral plan and modify each plan to achieve the outcomes as appropriate; and
- At a minimum, annually review the intervention and referral services action plans and the actions taken as a result of the building’s system of intervention and referral services and make recommendations to the principal for improving school programs and services, as appropriate.
The board shall review and adopt these procedures.
Adopted: November 20, 2000
NJSBA Review/Update: December 2009, May 2023
Readopted: October 24, 2011
Student Assistance Committee, Intervention and Referral Services for General Education Students
Legal Reference: N.J.A.C. 6A: 16-8.1 et seq. Intervention and Referral Services
Cross References: *6164.4 Child study team
*6172 Alternative educational programs
*Indicates policy is included in the Critical Policy Reference Manual.